How to Work On-Campus while Studying in Canada - THE MIGRATION HQ - Scholarships, Visa Guides, Jobs and Education


How to Work On-Campus while Studying in Canada

An international student may be able to work within the boundaries of the campus where he or she is registered in if the student meets specific criteria. International Students in Canada can work for up to 20 hours per week, and full-time during scheduled breaks, without a work permit.


What are the Requirements to Work on-campus as International Student in Canada 2021?

On-campus work includes working for an employer located on the campus grounds of the educational institution where a student is studying.

An on-campus employer includes the school, a faculty member, a student organization, a private business (located within the boundaries of the campus), a private contractor that provides services to the school, and being self-employed on-campus.

RECOMMENDED - Top 5 remote jobs You can do in Canada 2021


For an international student to work on-campus without a work permit, he or she must:

  • hold a valid Canada Study Permit; your study permit will state whether you are permitted to work in Canada, and the conditions of the job or employment
  • have a Social Insurance Number (SIN);
  • be registered as a full-time post-secondary student at a:
  • public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
  • a private college-level school in Quebec that operates under the same rules as public schools, and is at least 50% funded by government grants, or
  • a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law


Working Off Campus as International Student in Canada

Working off campus means working for any employer outside of the university or college. Canadian employers are always ready in large quantity to accept students to work with them, just incase you're looking for or finding job as an International student in Canada. While at that, you are advised to prepare your CV and be sure to understand the taxing system of the Canadian government.


Work in Canada as a co-op student or intern

International students pursuing a study program at a DLI in Canada that requires a mandatory work placement or internship must apply for a co-op or intern work permit in addition to a valid study permit.

If you're a DLI student in Canada, you are advised to separately learn more about Co-op Work Permits in Canada and Post-Graduation Work Permits. Once the international student graduates, a Post-Graduation Work Permit may be obtained.

In some cases, spouses or common-law partners of international students studying full-time may be eligible for an open work permit. Visit official dedicated page for information on the advantages of an Canada open work permit.