Want to Work in Canada? Here are 6 Factors for Selecting You for Federal Skilled Worker Program - THE MIGRATION HQ - Scholarships, Visa Guides, Jobs and Education


Want to Work in Canada? Here are 6 Factors for Selecting You for Federal Skilled Worker Program

Federal Skilled Worker

In order for you to be eligible for Canada's Federal skilled Worker program via Express Entry, you need to score 67 points or more. This program makes you eligible to work as a professional when you move there.

After reading this article you should know the factors that is used to award you these points. Also, if other requirements are met by you too, you can submit a profile to the Express Entry pool. Once you’re in the Express Entry pool, they use a different system to rank your profile.

If you score lower than 67 points, you won’t qualify for the program. You may be able to get a higher score by doing things like:
  • improving your language skills
  • completing another degree, diploma, or certificate
  • receiving an offer of arranged employment in Canada
With that in mind, below are 6 Factors use by Canada's Express Entry for selecting Skilled Worker, you may go here for full article and apply:

  • Language skills points
  • Education points
  • Work experience points
  • Age points
  • Arranged employment in Canada points
  • Adaptability points

Below is a brief explanation about the factors and their maximum points (your performance for each will determine how high or low you score) so you should know about each one and know what to do to improve your score, and you to be selected for Federal Skilled worker program by Canada immigration systems.


Language skills points (28 points maximum)

You can get up to 28 points for your language skills in English and French. They give you points based on your ability to:
  • speak
  • write
  • listen
  • read
You will under go language testing and you must take an approved language test to prove your language levels.


Education (maximum 25 points)

If you went to school in Canada, you must have a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:
  • secondary institution (high school) or
  • post-secondary institution

If you have foreign education, which means you studied or had your education outside Canada, you must have:
  • an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report for immigration purposes from a designated organization showing that your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:
    • secondary institution (high school) or
    • post-secondary institution
You must include your Canadian credential or your foreign credential and Educational Credential Assessment report.

Work experience (15 points maximum)

You can get points for the number of years you’ve spent doing full-time paid work (at least 30 hours per week, or an equal amount of part-time [15 hours per week for 24 months]) at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2016 National Occupational Classification.

To get selection factor points, your work experience will count if it was:
  • In Canada or abroad
  • while you were studying
  • while being self-employed

If the description and list of main duties match what you did at your job(s), you can count this experience for points.
Use this chart to find the number of points based on your number of years of experience.

Experience Maximum 15 points
1 year 9
2-3 years 11
4-5 years 13
6 or more years 15

Age (12 points maximum)

You’ll get points based on your age on the day the Immigration office get your application.

Age Points
Under 18 0
18-35 12
36 11
37 10
38 9
39 8
40 7

Arranged employment in Canada (maximum 10 points)

You can get points if you have a job offer of at least 1 year from a Canadian employer. You must get the job offer before you apply to come to Canada as a Federal Skilled Worker.

Adaptability (10 points maximum)

You and your spouse or common-law partner who will immigrate with you to Canada can earn points for adaptability. The below factors are used to asses and determine if you and your spouse or family member will settle in the country:
  • Your spouse or partner’s language level - 5 points
  • Your past studies in Canada - 10 points
  • Your spouse or partner’s past studies in Canada - 5 points
  • Your spouse or common-law partner’s past work in Canada - 5 points
  • Arranged employment in Canada - 5 points
  • Relatives in Canada - 5 points

As we stated earlier, these are brief factors the systems will use to award you points for you to qualify for Canada's Federal Skilled Worker program, there are more details about each factors which we may share with you in subsequent posts.