How To Get Permanent Residency In Sweden (For Non EU Citizens) - THE MIGRATION HQ - Scholarships, Visa Guides, Jobs and Education


How To Get Permanent Residency In Sweden (For Non EU Citizens)

A Step-by-step Guide On How Non-EU Nationals Can Apply For A Permanent Residence Permit In Sweden

To get permanent residency in Sweden, you must have been living in the country for five consecutive years. EU citizens will be granted permanent residency after the required 5-year period even if they were not working most of the time. However, Non-EU nationals will need to be employed during the required 5-year period.

This blog post gives a guide on how to get permanent residency in Sweden for non-EU citizens. There are many benefits of having a permanent residence status in Sweden.

First, you won't need to renew your work permit before being allowed continual stay in the country. You can quit your current job and get employed by another employer without revoking your work permit.

Having a resident permit makes other family members eligible to join you in Sweden. However, you should take note of the fact that having a permanent residency status doesn't necessarily make you a citizen.

Staying outside the country for long periods (2 to 6 years) might render your residence permit invalid. Partaking in serious criminal activities may also revoke your permit and cause you to be deported.

Requirements For Permanent Residency In Sweden (For Non-EU Citizens)

Just like we have said, all EU citizens have a right to be permanent residents after they have resided in Sweden for 5 consecutive years.

However, citizens from non-EU countries must meet the requirements below before being granted Permanent Residency.

  • You must have immigrated to Sweden because of work or employment purposes. This would require a work permit. Students (with a study permit) and temporary workers may not be eligible.
  • You must have been residing in Sweden for 5 consecutive years.
  • You must have been able to sustain yourself (or and family) during the required period of stay.

Required Documents For Permanent Residency In Sweden (For Non-EU Citizens

As a Non-EU national, you will need to upload the documents below before being granted permanent residency in Sweden. 

You can apply on the internet and send the documents through electronic means, but you will still have to submit the original copies of each document on getting to the embassy.

Alternatively, you can apply for the residence permit physically. You will have to visit the Embassy in Sweden and bring along all the required documents.

Required Documents For All Applicants

  • Your valid passport.
  • If you are submitting your application physically, you need to obtain the form "Application for a residence permit to settle in Sweden", form number "161011".
  • Your passport photograph (in colour).

Required Documents For Married Couples

Apart from the general required documents for all applicants, you will need the documents below:

  • Your marriage certificate.
  • A certified document that shows the marriage was registered in your home country.
  • A proof of national registration, a proof of rental accommodation, or proof of your joint residence. This is to show that you both lived together at some time.

Recommended - Netherlands Permanent Residence - All You Need To Know.

Required Documents For Unmarried Couples

Apart from the general documents, you will need:

  • Proof of national identity. This can be any document issued by a relevant authority, and it must show proof that you are unmarried.
  • A proof of national registration, a proof of rental accommodation, or proof of your joint residence. This is to show that you both lived together at some time.

Required Documents For Your Children (Less Than 18 Years)

  • If you are applying physically, an application form for a "residence permit for a child under the age of 18 to settle in Sweden" is needed. 
  • The child's birth certificate.
  • A death certificate must be provided if one of the parents of that child is deceased.
  • Written consent from the legal guardian of that child is also required. (If the legal guardian is not applying for permanent residency in Sweden).
  • In cases where the child is an adopted one, you will need legal documents that show support this claim. 

Required Documents For Other Close Relatives

  • A document that proves that you and your relative depends on each other. This must support the claim that both of you cannot live apart, from each other, based on schooling, medical, safety, social, emotional or financial reasons.
  • A document that shows how you are related to each other.
  • A document that shows that you have resided together just before you moved to Sweden. 

How To Apply For Permanent Residency In Sweden (For Non-EU Citizens)

Applying For Permanent Residency In Sweden Through The Internet

  • Get all the required documents ready.
  • Apply by following the Swedish Migration Agency's instructions.
  • Upload all documents electronically and proceed with payment of the application fee. 
  • Your family member must answer a questionnaire. An email will be sent to the person once you submit your own form.
  • You will soon be contacted by email and invited to come for an interview at the Swedish Embassy. 
  • A decision will be taken by the Swedish Migration Agency. This would determine if your application should be granted or rejected.
  •  If your application is approved, you will need to wait to be issued a residence permit card.

Applying For Permanent Residency In Sweden Through Physical Office

  • Get all documents ready and book an appointment at the Embassy.
  • Ask for the application fee and pay it.
  • Submit your application at the Embassy. The Embassy will receive the application, application fee and related documents and then send them to the Swedish Migration Agency.
  • When the Swedish Migration Agency starts the process, you will be invited for an interview at the Embassy. Here, your fingerprints, passport and other documents will be checked.
  • The Swedish Migration Agency will make a decision and get back to you. Once the decision is made, you will be informed through email.
  • If your application is accepted, you will be issued a Swedish permanent residence card.