Moving To Australia From Canada - All You Need To Know - THE MIGRATION HQ - Scholarships, Visa Guides, Jobs and Education


Moving To Australia From Canada - All You Need To Know

Moving to Australia from Canada is a desire for many Canadian citizens and residents. Apart from being warmer, Australia is a country that is famous for its beauty and rich career opportunities.
If you are planning on moving to Australia from Canada, there are some things you should know. This post gives an insight into a few things you should know before embarking on that journey.

Things You Should Know Before Moving To Australia From Canada

1. Which Australian City To Reside

Australia has 7 territories and states. Each of them has a capital city. Most immigrants like you always prefer to reside in:

  • Sydney
  • Melbourne
  • Perth
  • Brisbane

Of these 4 cities, which is best for you?

Sydney is the largest capital city in Australia. It's is always busy and known for traffic congestions. If you are not used to this, you should consider another city to reside in after moving to Australia from Canada.

Sydney is also one of the most expensive cities in terms of housing and rent. But it also has a lot of academic and career opportunities.

Melbourne is the second-largest capital city in Australia. Housing and rent in Melbourne are more affordable than in Sydney. However, Melbourne is among the coldest capital cities in Australia during the winter.

Perth is a good choice for Canadians that love active, rocking outdoor activities and lifestyles. This city is good for job careers in the mining industry.

Brisbane is commonly referred to as "The Sunshine State". This is due to its warm weather. Queensland generally has mining as its major industry too. The housing and rent are also quite affordable.

2. The Available Australian Visas

There are different types of visas for you to choose from when moving to Australia from Canada. Some of them are:

  • Work visa
  • Temporary entry visas
  • Visitor visa
  • Business visa
  • Student visa
  • Family visa and many more.

Australian Work Visas

This type of visa legally permits the immigrant to work and earn an income in Australia. There are also different types of work visas, depending on the nature of immigration and work. They include:

  • Global Talent Visa (Subclass 858)
  • Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186)
  • Permanent Residence Visa (Subclass 191) – Skilled Regional
  • Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187)
  • Skilled Employer-Sponsored Regional Visa (Subclass 494) – Provisional
  • Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)
  • Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190)
  • Skilled Recognised-Graduate Visa (Subclass 476)
  • Skilled Regional Visa (Subclass 887)
  • Skilled Work Regional Visa (Subclass 491) – Provisional
  • Temporary Activity Visa (Subclass 408)
  • Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)
  • Temporary Work Visa (Subclass 403) – International Relations
  • Temporary Work Visa (Subclass 400) – Short Stay Specialist
  • Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482)

Australian Visitor's Visa

This type is for people moving to Australia from Canada for the purpose of visitation or tourism. People in this category don't plan on settling down or looking for job opportunities. The following programs and protocols are involved:

  • Tourist Visa (Subclass 600)
  • Electronic Travel Authority (Subclass 601)
  • eVisitor (Subclass 651)
  • Medical Treatment Visa (Subclass 602)

Australian Business And Investment Visas

This category is for people migrating to Australia from Canada for the purpose of business opportunities and investment. This is subdivided into:

  • Business Innovation and Investment Visa (Subclass 888) – Permanent
  • Business Innovation and Investment Visa (Subclass 188) – Provisional
  • Business Owner (Subclass 890)
  • Business Talent Visa (Subclass 132) – Permanent
  • Investor Visa (Subclass 891)
  • State or Territory Sponsored Business Owner Visa (Subclass 892)
  • State or Territory Sponsored Investor Visa (Subclass 893)

Australian Study And Training Visas

For people moving to Australia from Canada because of educational reasons. This includes international students, people receiving training, and also parents of young international students. 

Under the study visa category we have the:

  • Student Visa (Subclass 500)
  • Training Visa (Subclass 407)
  • Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590)

Australian Family Visa

This type of visa is for family members, relatives, and dependants of Australian citizens (and permanent residents). It's subdivided into:

  • Adoption Visa (Subclass 102)
  • Aged Dependent Relative Visas (Subclass 114 and subclass 838)
  • Carer Visas (Subclass 836 and subclass 116)
  • Dependent Child Visa (Subclass 445)
  • New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship Visa (Subclass 461) – Temporary
  • Orphan Relative Visas (Subclass 117 and subclass 837)
  • Remaining Relative Visas (Subclass 115 and subclass 835)

Recommended - How To Immigrate To UK Without Job Offer - UK Citizenship By Investment

3. Finding A Job

Some people moving to Australia from Canada do so intending to settle down. If you fall in such a category, then you will need a job.

There are many ways to discover job opportunities. The Australian Home Affairs department usually releases job lists. You can also use websites like:

4. Cost Of Living In Australia

When compared to other countries in the world, Australia has high costs of living. However, living in Australia is 10% cheaper than in Canada

There are few exceptions when it comes to housing and rent. The average housing and rent in Australia are 18% more expensive than in Canada.

Aside from that, living in Australia is a little bit cheaper than in Canada.

5. Setting Up A Bank Account

Since Australia is a new country, you will have to open a new bank account. To do this, you will need some documents, some of which are:

  • Birth certificate
  • Citizenship certificate
  • Passport
  • Documents from your present or former employer
  • Your foreign driver's license (the one you were using in Canada)
  • Marriage certificate
  • EFTPOS card and a few other documents.